[secdir] early review of draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-09

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Thu, 28 January 2016 19:36 UTC

To: secdir <secdir@ietf.org>, akatlas@juniper.net, tnadeau@lucidvision.com, wardd@cisco.com, jhaas@pfrc.org, shares@ndzh.com, Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com>, Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 14:36:26 -0500
Subject: [secdir] early review of draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-09

SECDIR early review of draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-09

IESG.These comments were written with the intent of improving security
requirements and considerations in IETF drafts.Comments not addressed in
last call may be included in AD reviews during the IESG review.Document
editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other
last call comments.

This is a relatively short document describing the problem being
addressed by the I2RS WG, and establishing some requirements for
solutions. I reviewed the -04 version of this document in December 2014.
This version is slightly longer and is improved.

In my previous review I noted a coupe of typos that have been fixed in
this version. I also suggested that the Security Considerations section
be revised. Although this section is still only one paragraph, the
authors have removed the odd language I cited and have provided a
pointer to the I2RS arch document. Thus the section has been approved.

I have a few suggested edits:

    The penultimate paragraph on page 2 contains a sentence that runs
    on for over 8 lines! Please break this into 2-3 sentences.

    colocated within -> co-located within

    re-organize the document so that Figure 1 fits on a single page

    must select the suitable protocol(s) -> must select suitable protocol(s)

    between the I2RS Clients and I2RS Agent -> between I2RS Clients and
    I2RS Agents

    must identify or define is a set -> must identify or define a set

    the last paragraph on page 5 flips between data model (singular) and
    data models (plural). Make this consistent.

    The example for recursion in Section 3 (paragraph 1 is confusing, at
    least to me).

    may also need to be -> also may need to be