Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-10

"Scott G. Kelly" <scott@hyperthought.com> Sat, 25 January 2014 15:18 UTC

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 07:18:03 -0800
From: "Scott G. Kelly" <scott@hyperthought.com>
To: Alan Johnston <alan.b.johnston@gmail.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui.all@tools.ietf.org, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-10

Hi Alan,

It appears that the modifications answer the questions I raised, but I again want to emphasize my lack of experience with SIP. One nit with the second paragraph of the security considerations section - it says

   One model treats the SIP layer as untrusted and requires end-to-end
   integrity protection and/or encryption.  This model can be achieved
   by providing these security services at a layer above SIP.  In this
   case, applications are encouraged to use their own integrity
   mechanisms such as encrypting the UUI data before passing it to the
   SIP layer.

Encryption is not an integrity mechanism. One way to fix this would be to change that last sentence to something like

   In this case, applications are encouraged to use their own integrity
   and/or encryption mechanisms.

Thanks,

Scott