Default manager.

wkchan@neramal.po.my Thu, 29 May 1997 20:34 UTC

From: wkchan@neramal.po.my
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:04:04 +0000
To: snmpv2@tis.com, scshin@songgang.skku.ac.kr
Subject: Default manager.
Sender: owner-snmpv2@ex.tis.com

I would like to know whether is their any commercial switch (SNMP
agent) which enable it's default manager IP address  to be set/change
via SNMP command.

This is because when the primary NMS fail, the secondary NMS will
come-up and starts to poll the devices. Isn't it better for it to also
reconfigure all the devices default manager IP address to the new NMS
as well. Most of the device I know of does not allow us to do it. ( only via
telnet or configure 2 or more manager  IP address into it).
Is there a discussion on a standard MIB (e.g. MIB-II IP sub-tree)  for this
operation or via proprietary MIB.?

Hope to hear from any of you.

Note: Security issues is not discuss here.

Regards,
Chan Wai Kok
NERA Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
5th Flr, Syed Kechik Foundation Building,
Jln Kapas, Bangsar 59100
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.
tel: 603-2523211.  fax :- 603-2525171.