[SPKM] Re: Comments on draft-zhu-pku2u-01.txt

Martin Rex <martin.rex@sap.com> Mon, 19 March 2007 16:24 UTC

From: Martin Rex <martin.rex@sap.com>
To: lzhu@windows.microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:23:26 +0100
Cc: kitten@lists.ietf.org, andros@citi.umich.edu, Michael.Eisler@netapp.com, spkm@ietf.org, jhutz@cmu.edu
Subject: [SPKM] Re: Comments on draft-zhu-pku2u-01.txt

Liqiang wrote:

> Nicolas.Williams wrote:
> > Where does GSS_S_CONTINUE_NEEDED appear in the KRB-ERROR??  Normally
> > status codes like GSS_S_CONTINUE_NEEDED are not sent in a mechanism
> > token -- they are implied.
>
> See section 6 of the user2user ID
> http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-03.txt
>

> 6. User to User when applied by server policy
>
>    In the case that the client application doesn't know that a service
>    requires user-to-user authentication, and requests and receives a
>    conventional KRB_AP_REP, the client will send the KRB_AP_REP

Is it me or should this read KRB_AP_REQ?

>    request, and the server will respond with a KRB_ERROR token as
>    described in RFC1964, with a msg-type of
>    KRB_AP_ERR_USER_TO_USER_REQUIRED (0x45). The server may optionally
>    pass the TGT in the data field of this error message. In response to
>    this error, the initiator sets flags and returns a
>    GSS_C_CONTINUE_NEEDED so that the next round uses the mechanism
>    described in section 4.

This "server policy" confuses me.

There are potentially 3 issues with AP_REQ/AP_REP exchanges that
I can think of:

  1) "weak" server key (i.e. server does not have a strong random key)

  2) server lacks (or doesn't want to use) replay cache

  3) replay caches are not shared across hosts, so a distributed services
     using a single principal (a single key) instead of the original
     hostbased services of the original Kerberos 5 design become
     vulnerable to cross-host replay

Protection for (1) would require the KDC to not even issue
service tickets, so that the client can not even send a KRB_AP_REQ.

Having a Application send a KRB_ERROR upon receiving an rfc-1964 AP_REQ
will result in fatal termination of the security context establishment
for every conforming implementation of rfc-1964.  So this suggestion
seems to create an interoperability problem, and the CONTINUE_NEEDED
status is an inappropriate return status for gss_accept_sec_context()
for a mechanism using the rfc-1964 mechanism OID.

-Martin