[Paul Clark: Re: Draft Internet Security Policy ]

Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com> Fri, 19 October 1990 19:29 UTC

To: spwg@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: [Paul Clark: Re: Draft Internet Security Policy ]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 1990 15:28:44 -0400
From: Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com>

------- Forwarded Message

Replied: Thu, 18 Oct 90 23:34:44 -0400
Replied: "Paul Clark <paul@TIS.COM> "
To: Stephen D Crocker <crocker@TIS.COM>
Cc: techies@TIS.COM, paul@TIS.COM
Subject: Re: Draft Internet Security Policy
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 10:41:41 -0400
From: Paul Clark <paul@TIS.COM>

In reviewing Rich Pethia's document there appeared to be a few
omissions. Whether these were deliberate or not I do not know.

	- Policy Section 1 part 2: It seems unclear who (users,
	  administrators, etc.) is responsible in the event
	  resources are used in an unauthorized fashion during
	  an account breakin.

	- A more general question related to the preceding is:
	  "To what extent, and under what circumstances, are
	  operators, vendors, and users to be held accountable
	  for breaches in security?"

	- There is no mention of penalties or enforcement
	  mechanisms within the document. As such a policy
	  statement carries very little weight. Perhaps
	  outline of current legal remedies or other potential
	  actions would be helpful.

In general, I found the document to be properly succinct and well
organized. I would welcome responses to my criticism.

		Paul Clark

------- End of Forwarded Message