Re: [tcpm] TCP option kind number for TCP Fast Open

"Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 01 October 2014 22:59 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 22:59:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.202.144.47]
Cc: "tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] TCP option kind number for TCP Fast Open

Hi Joe,

Isn't 29 allocated to RFC 5925? Do you mean 25?

My thinking is that right now we have enough option numbers to avoid the ones for which unauthorized use has been reported. While we clearly do not accept unauthorized use of option numbers, the IETF should probably not create known interop issues as long as this can be avoided, imho. We may indeed have to discuss this question at some point in future, e.g., when more than 50% of the codepoints are allocated. But I am not sure whether this will ever happen in the foreseeable future.

Michael