Re: [Tools-discuss] Calendars

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Mon, 22 July 2019 18:16 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: tools-discuss@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 14:15:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Calendars

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
    >> I'd like to suggest that the .ics files on the agenda NOT be available
    >> until the agenda is finalised, to avoid people downloading the wrong
    >> time slots.
    >>
    >> For example, if a meeting that is traditionally held on Monday in the
    >> first slot is moved during conflict resolution.
    >>
    >> I understand that this was (probably) communicated somewhere, but we
    >> all get a *lot* of e-mail, and this seems like leaving an attractive
    >> nuisance around.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Hmm.

    > The "right" way to use an ICS file is to use by reference; in which
    > case schedule changes will automatically by reflected in a calendar
    > app. At least that what happens for me in Thunderbird/Lightning and
    > when importing he calendar into Google Calendar...

+1

With Google Calendar, there is a challenge if you want to change the list of
WG that you are subscribed to.  I solved that by creating an indirection,
and subscribing Google Calendar to that.  I run this on my web serer
once a day:

%cat /corp/docs/SSW/ietf/meeting/ietf105/cal.sh

#!/bin/sh

cd /ssw/docs/SSW/ietf/meeting/ietf105

curl -s >agenda.ics 'https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/105/agenda.ics?add,capport,cbor,core,anima,dnsop,mops,opsawg,v6ops,sidrops,roll,ace,acme,cacoa,cose,ipsecme,lake,lamps,rats,saag,suit,teep,loops,6lo,6man,6tisch,dnssd,dprive,netrqmts,secdispatch'

Then I can just edit this script to add/subtract WGs.
It would be nice if I could register my interest in the WGs on the
datatracker and remove that layer of indirection.  The challenge is that
Google Calendar (and others too) do not let me change the URL easily.  Maybe
that's just a bug there.

What I'm really missing (in the calendaring space) is the ability to
subscribe to a foreign event, and have it show up in my main calendar.  I'm
told the IETF APP will do this, and that works for IETF meetings, but not in
general.  I can't do that for the virtual interim calendar, etc.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-