Re: [Tools-discuss] [Cellar] non-ascii characters (fwd) Dave Rice: [Cellar] non-ascii characters

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Tue, 27 August 2019 18:46 UTC

To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, tools-discuss@ietf.org, cellar@ietf.org
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 20:46:37 +0200
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] [Cellar] non-ascii characters (fwd) Dave Rice: [Cellar] non-ascii characters

Hi Michael,

Here's my take on this:

A number of people has highlighted the desirability of using math symbols
in text.  However, this is not currently supported by xml2rfc v3, and will
make idnits unhappy.  Putting math in SVG is currently the supported
approach.

Several approaches to permitting math other than by providing SVG artwork
has been raised and discussed, and there may be ways forward for this once
the current focus on the v3 format transition is complete, but until we
reach completion on the transition effort, I don't think it's going to be
fruitful to push for this.

(Personally, I've felt sufficiently strongly about inline and display math
support to propose a number of possible approaches to the RFC Editor, but I
don't have time over to do any prototyping of any of the most promising
approaches until well after the xml2rfc v3 formatters are seen to be solid.)

Best regards,

	Henrik