Re: [Trans] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-31: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Wed, 13 March 2019 14:19 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 15:19:30 +0100
Cc: Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis@ietf.org, Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>, Trans <trans@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, trans-chairs@ietf.org
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Subject: Re: [Trans] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-31: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

HI Ekr,

I actually have a related question. As this document is rather specifying a new version than “just” correcting an existing spec, it’s not really clear to me if the obsolete tag is the right choice here. I know some other protocols do this in a similar fashion, but I would rather recommend to only update the previous version RFC (in order to create a link to this new spec) or declare it historic if usage is not recommended anymore. I think that's also something we should discuss on the IESG.

Coming back to your original question about how much should be changed in a bis document. I think this is a valid question for bis doc that correct known errors. However, in case of this document that specifies a new version, I think it is the right thing to do to also align such a new version with the guidelines we follow at the time of publication.

Mirja