Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-27

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Mon, 25 March 2019 07:32 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 08:31:53 +0100
Cc: "tsv-art@ietf.org" <tsv-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dots-data-channel.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dots-data-channel.all@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Subject: Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-27

hi Med,

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the delay,

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 08:13, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thank you for the review.
>
> Please see inline.
>
> Cheers,
> Med

Okay, thanks for the pointer.

>> I'd be curious to know whether other client authentication schemes were
>> considered.
>
> [Med] Which schemes do you have in mind?

Nothing in particular; I'm just under the impression that client auth is seen as a second-class feature of TLS, so I wonder how the decision to use it impacts implementability and deployability of DOTS. Someone more up to date on the state of TLS can probably make a more authoritative statement here.

>> The use of cdid as a client rate association token and rate-limiter seems
>> open to
>> misconfiguration or misuse.
>
> [Med] I guess you are referring to policies at the server (because rate-limits at the gateway rely upon the client identity).

... where the client identity is derived from cdid alone, or cdid / 3-tuple?

> Is there a concept for protecting against this
>> beyond
>> log-and-detect?
>
> [Med] We do have the following generic recommendation (from the requirements I-D):
>
>   "DOTS operators should carefully
>   monitor and audit DOTS agents to detect misbehavior and to deter
>   misuse"

so, "no". :) That's fine, this is a hard problem, and rate limitations are still one of the only tools that works consistently. Calling out which parts of the protocol are vulnerable to state space exhaustion on the server, though, would be sueful.

>> Data Model Design
>> --------------------
>>
>> The target-fqdn element in the alias definition seems prone to cause
>> confusing results if used naïvely (indeed the document itself points
>> this out). On the other hand, in dynamic service environments it is quite
>> useful
>> for an alias to refer to a name as opposed to a set of addresses. Did the
>> working
>> group consider including some further context for the resoultion of these
>> into
>> IP addresses (for example, by providing a link to a DoT/DoH server to update
>> the resolutions periodically)?
>
> [Med] The document states the following:
>
>      How a name is passed to an underlying name resolution library is
>      implementation- and deployment-specific.
>
> We could include some text similar to RFC7969 (Section 7), but still this is deployment-specific.

Okay, as long as we think the uncertainty in resolution is something that will work as expected for DOTS clients.

Cheers,

Brian