Re: [Unbearable] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tokbind-ttrp-01.txt

Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vladimir@connect2id.com> Thu, 03 August 2017 13:33 UTC

To: unbearable@ietf.org
From: Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vladimir@connect2id.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 16:32:27 +0300
Subject: Re: [Unbearable] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tokbind-ttrp-01.txt

To me forgetting to configure scrubbing of the headers is the worst
thing that can potentially happen in a TLS terminating proxy setup.

When implementing mTLS we decided to make the header names configurable,
and insist on them having a random portion, to make them hard to guess,
e.g. X-Client-X509-Cert-alaeLuL8geiqu3OhOg1Mafa4Ecu9ahsh. The prefix was
put there to ease debugging. By doing this the header name essentially
becomes a secret, shared between the TLS proxy and the backend server.
Someone probing the TLS proxy to see if scrubbing was accidentally left
out will have a much harder job with this.

I don't know if something like that was discussed in Prague. I
understand that there's great interop value in making header names
standard. The downside of having set header names is that attacks on
badly configured TLS proxies become much easier to carry out. This is my
concern about the TTRP spec in this form.

Thanks,

Vladimir