[117attendees] Response to: Announcement for IETF-117 IPMON Side Meeting

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Tue, 25 July 2023 19:45 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:44:39 -0400
To: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <jaehoon.paul@gmail.com>, its@ietf.org
Cc: 117attendees@ietf.org, Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>, JungSoo Park <pjs@etri.re.kr>, Younghan Kim <younghak@ssu.ac.kr>, skku-iotlab-members <skku-iotlab-members@googlegroups.com>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Subject: [117attendees] Response to: Announcement for IETF-117 IPMON Side Meeting

I am sadden that I will miss this gathering.  I will be in CFRG.

That said, this is interesting work, BUT how does it conform with work
in SAE for proactive collision prevention and the SAE messaging for same?

I am aware of the SAE work but do not have any of the document and
packet terms here.  I have reached out to a colleague and don't know if
they will answer in time.

Now on to things in the air...

We are entering into the Religious layer of the stacks.   Are they
Uncrewed Aircraft Systems and part of the National Air Space that need
to interact with other Aircraft, or are they Uncrewed Aerial Vehicles
that need to interact with things within the Urban framework.  This is
truly at the Religious layer (and also Financial!).

If we are talking about Air Taxis, it is a little of each.

If we are talking about small delivery UA, hobbyist UA, long-range cargo
UA, the CAAs view them needing to interact in the NAS and sc&%! the
rest.  That this focus on Urban Air Mobility is distracting from safe
management of the NAS.

Air Taxis are a little of both so they are caught having to do both.

There is the concept of Operations Over People, and if you want to run
your UA in OOP (and yes, no oops!), there are regulations to follow.
Better air-to-ground communications MAY help, but.

Look at package delivery; it should be easy.  But

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-M98KLgaUU
5 minutes in, shows how Pheonix would never work.  As things stand now.
This work IMO will not fix this problem.

To 'fix' this we need Tactical, A2A, Detect And Avoid (DAA) with UA and
Civil/General Aviation.  Not UA to cars.  So see:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-drip-a2x-adhoc-session/
and
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-drip-efficient-a2g-comm/

I already have some UA vendors working on a2x-adhoc.

The later will probably of more interest/value in rural/long haul.
Cellular has pretty much already won in urban.

Then for safety in the NAS until we get serious Network Remote ID (and
even then, as much will never really pay up for that), see:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-drip-crowd-sourced-rid/

My colleagues at AX Enterprize are already working on deploying parts of
this in critical areas.  It is technology like that that will change
where the geo-fencing is to permit delivery service to operate close to
airports and the like.  To the point that FAA has awarded a lot of money
to one of their favorite companies to develop what I have already shown
how to do.  Sigh.

In conclusion:

This is interesting work with caveats.

What is the auto industry doing on their own?

What aspects of airspace usage makes sense to include.  (here be
dragons.  :) ).

Thank you.

Bob