Re: [3gv6] [BEHAVE] DNS64 Resolvers and Dual-Stack Hosts, draft-wing-behave-dns64-config-00

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Sat, 09 January 2010 12:06 UTC

Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 13:06:43 +0100
From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: draft-haddad-mext-nat64-mobility-harmful@tools.ietf.org, 'Behave WG' <behave@ietf.org>, 3gv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [3gv6] [BEHAVE] DNS64 Resolvers and Dual-Stack Hosts, draft-wing-behave-dns64-config-00

Dan Wing escribió:

> [...]

if the mobile node is dual stack, it should be running dsmip, i guess
and i don't think it would make sense to expose dns64 information to
it... but maybe more dsmip experts can correct me here

so i would focus on the ipv6 only mn case imho
>  and encounters a
> dual-stack network that is not operating a NAT64.  If that
> mobile node (for whatever reason) sends a query to a DNS64
> somewhere on the Internet which returns an AAAA with the
> well-known prefix (64:FF9B::/96) such as, for example,
> 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1, the mobile node will send a TCP SYN to
> 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1 which won't route anywhere.  The mobile
> node will timeout its attempted TCP connection.
>
> Let's assume the mobile node is IPv6-only, and encounters a
> dual-stack network that is not operating a NAT64.  If that
> mobile node (for whatever reason) sends a query to a DNS64
> somewhere on the Internet which returns an AAAA with the
> well-known prefix (64:FF9B::/96) such as, for example,
> 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1, the mobile node will send a TCP SYN to
> 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1 which won't route anywhere.  The mobile
> node will timeout its attempted TCP connection.

correct, but what is the alternative?
I mean, if the dns64 creates the synthetic RR, it is because there is no
real AAAA RR, so the target host is IPv4 only.
So, the only option for communication between the IPv6 only MN and the
IPv4 only CN is to use a NAT64.
If there is no NAT64 available, the communication will fail, and this is
not a problem of the type of prefix used for the communication.

So, i would argue that in this case, the communication fails, but not
because the nat64 is harmful, but due to the lack of nat64.

So, my argument that the WKP shoudl solve this particular type of cases,
in all the cases the communication could possibly work.

So, for dual stack MN, use dsmip
For IPv6 only nodes, use nat64/dns64 plus the WKP.

makes sense?

Regards, marcelo