Re: [5gangip] Identifier size

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> Thu, 01 February 2018 22:18 UTC

To: sarikaya@ieee.org, Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
Cc: 5GANGIP <5gangip@ietf.org>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 17:18:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [5gangip] Identifier size

Behcet,

I was really sick with the flu and a secondary infection all of January
and am only now trying to cut through the backlog.  Us older guys got to
watch it...

Anyway a comment about length of Identifier.  i have a bit of experience
on considering how long to make an Identifier.   For some recent
examples on this and the best estimation equation on the probability of
collisions, please see:

draft-moskowitz-hierarchical-hip

Since there will always be collisions, you need some collision
management approach.  The above draft provides one such approach.

Just sharing a bit of my study into consequences on choosing an
Identifier length.

I may get through the various responses on this original post still this
week...

Oh, and I have an Excel sheet that makes using the formula easy; just
ask for it.

Bob