Re: [5gangip] PS draft: New Version Notification for draft-hspab-5gangip-atticps-00.txt

"FIGURELLE, TERRY F" <tf2934@att.com> Wed, 31 January 2018 01:29 UTC

From: "FIGURELLE, TERRY F" <tf2934@att.com>
To: AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com>
CC: "sarikaya@ieee.org" <sarikaya@ieee.org>, Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>, 5GANGIP <5gangip@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 01:28:05 +0000
Subject: Re: [5gangip] PS draft: New Version Notification for draft-hspab-5gangip-atticps-00.txt

Just had procedure in hospital. So a bit loopy and I tend to jump around and be long winded on my best days. So forgive my brain dump ;)

We use both widely and in many ways. More than even I know ;)

We widely use LAG and had a bit of learning experience on hashing plus port combinations which we had to accommodate into our overall design.

We get great distribution with two links, really good with four (great for 3 links and good for fourth plus improving). Depending on the vendor and line card the distribution on some of the links can be unbalance unless you work closely with that vendor. We have both box and box-cross (box-X, bow-box, pick your term). Within facility. All facilities are dual entry and we try to be unique path (not any same vault).

Depending on the link we detect or detect&correct in 1-5 seconds. We have a ton of live metrics and some amazing engineering on the MPLS backbone but I can’t share that information. Convergence is optimize and we get some really good numbers but I can’t share that either.

We have some pretty slick smartphone Apps which support controlled need to know information. Plus we enable our employees to be field testers and to report issues for all of our services.

We tend to overkill on design so things can run at capacity with any complete line card failure, supervisor failure, compute failure, etc. Site failures are split to at least two other sites by tracking area at same topology label length. Plus three major region IXC locations can handle both any in region site failure and any IXC site failure.

We also have an adaptive APN DNS that has configured topology and near-real-time GSN latency, utilization and health information. We are extending this to become our VSSF in 5G mobile core. For the MPLS VPN routing we have configured three region failover (east, central, west) which aligns with our three IXC zones that connect to IPX (Syniverse). We also use this for regional failover on APN’s with that feature where we have two or more connections to corporate data centers (Intranet). We have three sub regions per major region for SGW:PGW selection.

We exchange info with IPX who matches our regional routing failover design. This is critical for our Auto VoLTE (Connect Car) solution with other North American countries.

We set contestants like total latency budget for VoLTE but it turns out top bandwidth requires even tighter latency budget.

I feel that we need < 5ms cell site to Internet interface on UPF/SAE-GW. AT&T backbone carries ~60% of US Internet traffic. Rest is via tier1 ISP connections or direct data center connections (MIS, GMIS, AVPN). We have on-site equipment in all the big players US data centers (Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, IBM, video content {Netflix, HBO, STARZ,...}, Microsoft,...).

Sent from my iPhone