Re: [6lo] Adoption call for draft-thaler-6lo-privacy-considerations

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Mon, 05 October 2015 10:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 12:49:01 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Samita Chakrabarti <samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com>
Cc: 6lo-chairs@ietf.org, Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>, 6lo@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lo] Adoption call for draft-thaler-6lo-privacy-considerations

Hi David,

Thanks for writing the 6lo-privacy-considerations draft. I fully support
the publication of this draft.

  I also read 6man-ipv6-address-generation. The latter document explained
more clearly for me the problem that the topology structure of the
prefix needs the frequent changing of the interface identifier of the
IPv6 address. It would be helpful if your document stated that the
sending of the address through a router is an essential part of the
problem. If I understood correctly, every link-local of or realm-local
use of the address is not covered by your draft. I assume that this is
also the thrust of the first paragraph of section 3.1 as well? If yes,
this makes the use of the EUI64 based address during a local setting up
of the network still a valid approach.

Can you put the term “link” in a terminology section? I deduced that it
means the IPv6 address that is transported through one or more Internet
routers. It confused me quite a bit in the beginning.

I hope this makes sense.

Peter