Re: [6lowpan] For comments: 6LoWPAN Mesh Routing Requirements

"Dominik Kaspar" <dominik@etri.re.kr> Fri, 02 March 2007 07:34 UTC

From: Dominik Kaspar <dominik@etri.re.kr>
To: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] For comments: 6LoWPAN Mesh Routing Requirements
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:34:14 +0900
Cc: 6lowpan@lists.ietf.org, manet@ietf.org

Ian, all,

Ian, thanks a lot for your fast reply and detailed commenting on the
"6LoWPAN Mesh Routing Requirements" draft
[http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dokaspar-6lowpan-routreq-00.txt].
I'm taking the right to post this answer to both the 6lowpan and MANET
working groups, as MANET folks might be interested in this discussion as
well.

Ian, I find your inputs very reasonable, but they made me feel that the term
"6lowpan" is not yet defined precisely enough to set up a strict set of
6lowpan routing requirements. For example, you give me the scenario of a
6lowpan network, in which all devices are powered and power usage is not
important. But if I read the "6lowpan Problem Statement"
[http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem], I'm not sure
if such a set-up could still be called a 6lowpan, because that document
explains that in a LoWPAN "typically, some or all devices are battery
operated."

This draft's intention is to provide the primary design goals of 6lowpan
mesh routing and to stimulate responses for defining a set of requirements.
The requirements I listed are still as vague as the term "6lowpan" itself,
not at all proven and not fixed yet. I will keep all of your detailed
comments on the requirements in mind for a next revision. Also, it has
already been my intention to include a Section about what exactly the
differences are between routing in a MANET and in a LoWPAN.

Best regards,

Dominik