Re: [6lowpan] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hui-6lowpan-nd-00

Jonathan Hui <jhui@archrock.com> Mon, 28 July 2008 11:54 UTC

From: Jonathan Hui <jhui@archrock.com>
To: Anthony Schoofs <anthony.schoofs@philips.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 04:54:05 -0700
Cc: 6lowpan-bounces@ietf.org, 6lowpan <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hui-6lowpan-nd-00
Sender: 6lowpan-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the quick feedback! See below:

On Jul 28, 2008, at 4:39 AM, Anthony Schoofs wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> I just had a quick look at your draft about Neighbor Discovery and
> Autoconfiguration for Route-Over 6LoWPAN Networks. It seems very good!

Thanks! It was an initial draft written last minute, so it is missing
details as you point out below. I just wanted to get the basic idea
out there.
> - A general question: as you recall it, either the IEEE EUI-64 or
> short address combined with the PAN ID may be used to generate an
> IID, as specified in [RFC4944].
> Later you mention that appropriate link-layer address can be
> regenerated from the IID.
> When a node from network A receives a packet from network B, how
> does it know whether the source node has used the short adress or
> the EUI-64 address to form the IID? I understand that you can use
> the U/L bit to separate EUI-64 from short addressing usage, but will
> destination nodes always have to check this U/L bit when receiving
> packets?

The text isn't very clear about this. The assumption is that the u/l-
bit in the IID will tell you if it's global or local scope. The former
implies an IEEE EUI-64, while the latter implies a short address.
> - About the Router Advertisements, we need to make sure that they
> are received by all the nodes. With respect to sensor networks
> constraints, nodes may not always be able to be awake when they are
> multicasted. Do you leave this issue to be solved by other means
> (global network time synchro, local buffering of RAs for
> transmission when nodes are awake,..)?

The exact implementation of ND will depend on whether or not the link
protocol provides a multicast mechanism. If not, sleeping nodes can
periodically wake up and send unicast Router Solicitations to routers
and router will respond with unicast Router Advertisements. There was
a brief statement in the Router Advertisement specification saying
that the destination address can be the source address of a received
Router Solicitation. This functionality is supported by IPv6 ND, so
I'm not inventing anything new here.
> - It is mentionned that the RAs transmission period must use the
> trickle algorithm. I am not familiar with it, but it seems to me
> that it is not appropriate for networks with mobile nodes. I am
> looking at networks where nodes can move anytime, and we would go
> for short RAs periods. Is mobility out of your document scope?

Mobility is not intended to be out of scope. The Trickle algorithm
just says that the transmission period increases over time but that
there are one or more triggers that may reset the period back to
something small. The exact triggers that reset the transmission period
are not constrained by those mentioned in the document. I should make
that more clear.
> - Finally, you wrote that all 6LoWPAN nodes MUST accept the newest
> prefix information. Is this a requirement? Again, I am interested in
> mobile nodes and we may want to use other metrics for choosing the
> prefix information.

I think I see your point, but I'd also like to hear what you had in
mind. For context-based header compression to work, neighboring nodes
have to agree on the prefix information for each context. That's why I
tried to make sure nodes were consistent rather than not. If you're
talking about address autoconfiguration, that's a different story.
Just because the 'A' bit is set doesn't mean that a node must
configure an IPv6 address using that prefix information. The 'A' bit
only indicates that it can, at least that's my interpretation of it.

Again. Thanks for the quick feedback.

--
Jonathan Hui