[6lowpan] Re: [RSN] Re: Routing in L2N presentation file

Kris Pister <pister@eecs.berkeley.edu> Fri, 10 August 2007 17:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:47:11 -0700
From: Kris Pister <pister@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To: JP Vasseur <jvasseur@cisco.com>
Cc: 6lowpan@lists.ietf.org, rsn@ietf.org
Subject: [6lowpan] Re: [RSN] Re: Routing in L2N presentation file

JP - great presentation.   I hope that it was well received.  I'm very
supportive of everything in that document, with one exception.  There is
one assumption that I believe is potentially fatal to the entire
6lowpan/rsn effort in ietf.  On slide 11 you state "Research has focused
on near-optimal solutions to specific problems", and then in bold "IP is
maximizing interoperability, not aiming at finding a local optimum
;-)".  I agree with the second statement, but the first one is flat out
wrong.
Very few people in sensor network research seem to care about
near-optimal solutions.  Consider one of the best-received papers
[Kim07] at the recent IPSN conference.  Note that the authors are
leaders in the field, this is a respected conference, one of the better
papers, and this is the dissertation work culminating four years of
research on this project.  The paper presents the best academic work to
date on reliable multi-hop data collection, MP2P.  The payload goodput
in this network was 1.4% of the channel bandwidth, at 100% radio duty
cycle.  This is not "near-optimal" in any sense that I know.

If we start with 1.4%, and then degrade that so that we can maximize
interoperability, we'll be left with something that no one will use.  We
have an opportunity to do this right - let's not fall victim to the
Zigbee-esque assumption that all we need to do is define *something* and
adoption will be automatic.

ksjp

[Kim07] Kim, Pakzad, Culler, Demmel, Fenves, Glaser, Turon, "Health
Monitoring of Civil Infrastructures Using Wireless Sensor Networks", IPSN07.