Re: [6lowpan] "Link-Local Routing" versus "Network-Layer Routing"

gabriel montenegro <gabriel_montenegro_2000@yahoo.com> Sat, 14 July 2007 01:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:01:41 -0700
From: gabriel montenegro <gabriel_montenegro_2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] "Link-Local Routing" versus "Network-Layer Routing"
To: "Timothy J. Salo" <salo@saloits.com>, rsn@ietf.org, 6lowpan <6lowpan@lists.ietf.org>

Hi Tim,

There is an incorrect assumption in the message below:

The 6lowpan "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 Networks"
draft specifies that the link-local portion of an IPv6 address is
actually the 64-bit or 16-bit [link-layer] address used by 802.15.4.

6lowpan does not mandate such a relationship. It only says that if it does in fact
exist, then here is how to take advantage of it. The fact that this is not being mandated
should be evident from the text in section 10.1:

   the IPv6 interface identifiers (bottom 64
   bits) for the source or destination addresses can be inferred from
   the layer two source and destination addresses (of course, this is
   only possible for interface identifiers derived from an underlying
   802.15.4 MAC address); ...
      IC:  Interface identifier elided (derivable from the corresponding
         link-layer address).  If applied to the interface identifier of
         either the source or destination address when routing in a mesh
         (Section 11), the corresponding link-layer address is that
         found in the "Mesh Addressing" field (Section 5.2).
Notice that the above is merely an optimization, and one applied to the IPv6 header compression scheme.
As such, it is orthogonal and independent to the mesh delivery support. We want that independence as
the IPv6 header compression works only for IPv6, whereas the lowpan layer (including the mesh delivery)
works independently of the protocol being transported in this link. In other words, you could use the lowpan
layer for IPv4, appletalk, or any other protocol.

So your suggested wording below is not true in general,  but it may apply in a meaningful subset of possible cases.

-gabriel