Re: [6lowpan] IPv6 over DECT Ultra Low Energy

Peter Mariager <PM@rtx.dk> Thu, 28 April 2011 06:59 UTC

From: Peter Mariager <PM@rtx.dk>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>, "6lowpan@ietf.org" <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:59:49 -0700
acceptlanguage: da-DK, en-US
Cc: Jens Toftgaard Petersen <JTP@rtx.dk>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] IPv6 over DECT Ultra Low Energy

Hi Alex

Let me try to answer...

There is a well defined reliable data transport (DPRS) specification for packet traffic. This could potentially be used to transport e.g. 802.3 or IP frames to a "Portable Part" (PP - the "handset" / end node in DECT terms).

Besides, in the newest DECT CAT-iq specification v3.0 (TS 102 527-4) it has also been specified how to terminate the full TCP/IP stack in the gateway (DECT Fixed Part - the base station) and relay a subset of HTTP over to the portable part (intended for e.g. software upgrade over the air).
The problem here is that the DECT base station then has to be (mildly) application aware.

The above mechanism are also only defined for "classic" DECT and without any power limitations in mind.

I would like to enable true IP stack termination in the Portable Part and specifically tailored to fit the low resource channel of DECT ULE.

When such an adaptation layer has been defined it could easily be applied to "classic" DECT / CAT-iq as well.

Best Regards,
Peter Mariager