Re: [6tisch-security] [Anima] Scope question [was: autonomic bootstrap: gap analysis]

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> Tue, 17 June 2014 06:19 UTC

From: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 06:19:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.145]
Cc: 6tisch-security <6tisch-security@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6tisch-security] [Anima] Scope question [was: autonomic bootstrap: gap analysis]

>Michael's message is very interesting. For present purposes,
>i.e. getting ready for the UCAN BOF, do we need to add some
>points to the relevant use case draft
>(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behringer-autonomic-bootstrap)?
>
>More generally - I think the AN protagonists have been thinking
>of the scope of AN being carrier, enterprise, and home networks.
>Should we add IoT to the scope? I think it's an important
>question, because it would put new meanings on "simple" and
>"available resources". It seems obvious that IoT networks need
>to be completely autonomic, but is it the *same* autonomic?

Indeed, the scope is an important question. For me, the answer rely on solution rather than autonomic concept. Every network, no matter what kind of network it is, has the requirements to be autonomic, or more and more autonomic. However, giving the differences of these networks, we may not be able to find a generic solution that suits all. It is time for us to start discuss the potential solution and their suitable scenarios. After then, we may know whether we can unify into the same autonomic network or we have to settle on more than one autonomic network architecture.

Regards,

Sheng