[6tisch] nits on draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-sf0-02

Randy Turner <rturner@amalfisystems.com> Sun, 05 March 2017 02:21 UTC

From: Randy Turner <rturner@amalfisystems.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 21:20:52 -0500
To: 6tisch@ietf.org
Subject: [6tisch] nits on draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-sf0-02

Hi All,

After reading the current SF0 document, I had a few nits that I thought I would pass along - hope they’re helpful.

Section 2: Introduction

(The Scheduling Algorithm)

“…under effective use…”   the choice of wording seems unorthodox.

Suggest the following  “A portion of these allocated cells will be effectively utilized by neighbors, while the remaining cells can be over-provisioned to handle unanticipated increases in cell requirements”

(The Relocation Algorithm)

“Allocated cells may experiment packet loss” should be “Allocated cells may experience packet loss…”

Section 4: SF0 Triggering Events

1. “…change in the current number of used cells”  - could this be paraphrased to say “…a change in the number of required cells”  ?

Section 5: SF0 Estimation Algorithm

The Cell Estimation Algorithm steps, # 2 - What is an “effectively” used cell?  Could this just say “Collect the current number of used cells” ?

There is actually quite a bit of emphasis in this document on the idea of an “effectively used cell” - perhaps we should explain the concept of an effectively used cell (or a reference if it’s already defined) - I was curious why the term “effective” is used so often?  In the “Cell Estimation Algorithm” Step #2, the text reads:
“Collect the current number of effectively used cells” — which would seem to imply that ineffectively used cells wouldn’t be included in this step.  This may seem a too literal interpretation, I’m just looking for clarity as to whether or not the term “effective” or “effectively” is really needed in the doc.

Section 11: Relocating Cells

Just for completeness, I would emphasize how PDR is calculated, or include a reference to some other document if defined elsewhere

Thanks for this work!
Randy