Re: [70ATTENDEES] Marriott internet

Alan Hawrylyshen <alan@polyphase.ca> Tue, 04 December 2007 17:50 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:in-reply-to:subject:references:message-id:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:date:cc:x-mailer:sender; bh=XlHwuHZANSkCpjHU/wLh1b/mtk/PuCIfNMFAgVu8sfs=; b=GhEdzUiDtUkzUN/8vfQa6xsLswe1YXooNWJLvjtlAzbPMaTVFiLRWFLGT6GsWrVUBU1PZFheuhii5KExtLUGFWD0Y6kqqRNX9lA3W7ovV5Gs74sVl/nrhdzivUXoC+MkndkQOLrdWD+rqNJNJdxpPtumrm8gqkNYBpDki6tgfxw=
From: Alan Hawrylyshen <alan@polyphase.ca>
To: Paul Aitken <paitken@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [70ATTENDEES] Marriott internet
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 09:49:59 -0800
Cc: 70attendees@ietf.org

On 3-Dec-07, at 16:15 , Paul Aitken wrote:

> GOLDMAN, STUART O (STUART) wrote:
>
>> At check in the girl told me that the Internet was included in my
>> room rate.
>
> I was told that local, national and USA phone calls are also free as
> long as you accept the internet agreement; it's a package.
>
> Obviously you should verify that before placing any expensive calls!

Take care with this. I once stayed at a nice, name brand hotel in NYC
for an extended business stay (3 weeks). I was informed that for 19.95
per diem, I had unlimited internet and unlimited phone calls in North
America. At the end, I was presented with a bill, the phone charges
exceeded the room fees (over 2500$). Turns out that it was unlimited
in North America (*).

Instead, I was paying a 24.95$/call international connection fee and
150% the AT&T Operator Assisted Rates (if anyone remembers that kind
of billing, I can only vaguely remember the big DDD vs Operator Assist
billing days).

That was an ugly discussion with the hotel management.

Cheers,
Alan

* Anywhere in North America, except Canada, Mexico and Hawaii,
contiguous lower 48 states, excepting Point Roberts, WA .... blah blah