Re: Re[2]: yet another way to indicate related MIME body parts

Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu> Thu, 28 October 1993 19:17 UTC

To: Ned Freed <NED@innosoft.com>
Cc: ietf-822@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Re[2]: yet another way to indicate related MIME body parts
Phone: +1 408 246 8253; fax: +1 408 249 6205
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 12:05:39 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu>

Ned,

    ---- Included message:

    > But this misses the point of header-set.  The point is that you do NOT ha
		  ve
    > to repeat the image.  If I can (please) take the liberty of changing that
    > "tiff" to "gif", the idea behind header-set is to allow you to express yo
		  ur
    > example like:

    Well, this is all news to me. There isn't anything even resembling such a g
		  oal
    in the header-set draft I have read. This appears to be a recent invention

Yes.  Sorry about that.  The version of the spec listed in the internet-drafts
directory does not include this text.  Due to the closeness of the Houston
IETF, I could not post an update quickly enough.  It is certainly true that
I had not seen this particular benefit of header-set.  Amanda Walker suggested
it during the recent discussions for Mime content-types for the Mac.

		  that
    has been brought in to justify header-set now that it has failed demonstrat
    any other advantages.

This, of course, is not a helpful line of commentary.  It would appear
that the southern california flames are trying to trigger a brushfire
on this list.

Rather than a desperate effort to jockey for legitimacy, I tend to see this
admittedly-new use for header-set as fall-out which is typically representative
of good design.  (There might even be a smiley face here.)

In any event, I think that Steve Dorner has done a perfect job of summarizing
the benefits of header-set, so far, and it is only a matter of whether there
is any sort of consensus that those benefits are sufficient.

    > 1. It eliminates the need to register a subtype of multipart for each
    > multipart thing.

    Let's see. For each header-set header, you have to register a type, right?
    Where's the huge overhead involved in registering a subtype of multipart at
		   the
    same time? I see no overhead here at all!

    I'm sorry, but this is nothing short of a complete red herring.

I don't understand such trivialization of concern for administrative
overhead.  We are already experiencing problems and questions about
Mime content-type administration; I would think that an effort to
greatly reduce one portion of consumption would meet with some warmth,
rather than such heat.

d/