Re: Multipart/related comments

Ed Levinson <elevinso@accurate.com> Fri, 16 June 1995 18:25 UTC

To: Mike Braca <mbraca@conan.ids.net>
Cc: elevinson@accurate.com, ietf-822@dimacs.rutgers.edu, elevinso@accurate.com
Subject: Re: Multipart/related comments
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 12:52:41 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ed Levinson <elevinso@accurate.com>

Mike,

Thanks for pointing out the typos.

As to the apparent contradictions, if you are making only one pass you
have to decide what you're going to do when you encounter
Multipart/Related.  After further processing you reach the root entity.
If you discover the type parameter and the content-type disagree you
know you have the wrong one and a user agent should probably report
the error.  The spec just says which one to believe.

A user agent that makes several passes may wish to handle the
situation differently.

What to do when the two disagree is not part of the spec.  User agents
get to decide for themselves.

Best.../Ed