Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib-06.txt

Leaf yeh <leaf.y.yeh@huawei.com> Mon, 08 October 2012 11:48 UTC

From: Leaf yeh <leaf.y.yeh@huawei.com>
To: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>, Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:48:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.83.152]
Cc: "aaa-doctors@ietf.org" <aaa-doctors@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib@tools.ietf.org>, Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib-06.txt

a.
Alan - <quote>The format of the IPv6-6rf-Configuration attribute is not ideal.  This
is OK, as the RADIUS extensions document has not been published...
- make it clear that since the subtypes have values, they can appear in
any order.  e.g. subtype 1,2,3 is OK, but so is subtype order 2,3,1 and
3,2,1.</quote>

I tend to suggest draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib-06 to adopt the data type of TLV newly defined in draft-ietf-radext-radius-extensions.

b.
draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib-06 - <quote> ... the Access-Request packet contains a
   Service-Type attribute with the value Authorize Only (17), thus
   according to [RFC5080] the Access-Request packet MUST contain a State
   attribute. </quote>
Alan - <quote> There is no "user", and no credentials supplied for authentication.
  My reading is that State was added solely to satisfy portions of RFC
5080.  I think it, and all references to 5080 should be removed from the
draft.
Since no user authentication is taking place, perhaps a better
suggestion would be to allocate a new Service-Type, of
IPv6-6rd-Configuration.  The Access-Request could contain:
	Service-Type = IPv6-6rd-Configuration
	IPv6-6rd-Configuration = ... data ...
  RADIUS servers should be able to key off of the Service-Type to
distinguish 6rd requests from all other RADIUS requests.  They can then
respond correctly, even though no user credentials are in the request. </quote>

There is almost the same description in section 3 of RFC 6519. Quoted as follows: 'In the scenario depicted in Figure 2, the Access-Request packet
contains a Service-Type attribute with the value Authorize Only (17);
thus, according to [RFC5080], the Access-Request packet MUST contain
a State attribute.'  Is it an Errata here?

c. IPv6-6rd-Configuration sounds not in the category of Service-Type (6) per the following records @ http://www.iana.org/assignments/radius-types/radius-types.xml.

2 Framed
3 Callback Login
4 Callback Framed
5 Outbound
6 Administrative
7 NAS Prompt
8 Authenticate Only
9 Callback NAS Prompt
10 Call Check
11 Callback Administrative
12 Voice
13 Fax
14 Modem Relay
15 IAPP-Register
16 IAPP-AP-Check
17 Authorize Only [RFC3576]
18 Framed-Management

Do we really find the suitable registry for the attribute of 6rd Configuration?

d. How about replace the type name of this newly designed attribute to be '6rd-configuration'?

Best Regards,
Leaf