Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-radius-ext-04

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Mon, 08 August 2011 18:11 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: aland@freeradius.org, "dromasca@avaya.com" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:11:13 -0700
Cc: aaa-doctors@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-radius-ext-04

I found a few other issues beyond those Alan mentions below.

Figure 2 shows a RADIUS exchange with no NAS present, or user authentication occurring.

As noted in RFC 5080 Section 2.1.1 describes the requirements for authorization-only Access-Requests:

   Access-Request packets that contain a Service-Type attribute with the
   value Authorize Only (17) MUST contain a State attribute.  Access-
   Request packets that contain a Service-Type attribute with value Call
   Check (10) SHOULD NOT contain a State attribute.  Any other Access-
   Request packet that performs authorization checks MUST contain a
   State attribute.  This last requirement often means that an Access-
   Accept needs to contain a State attribute, which can then be used in
   a later Access-Request that performs authorization checks.

The document does not describe the contents of the Access-Request in enough detail to understand whether it is compliant with RFC 5080, 2865 or other RADIUS protocol documents.  So either this is a protocol violation, or the exchange described is under-specified.

Section 4.1 describes a NAS sending an Access-Accept to a RADIUS server.   Either this is a typo (e.g. it should say Access-Request) or the authors are making a major change to the RADIUS protocol:

   This attribute MAY be used in Access-Accept packets as a hint to the
   RADIUS server; for example if the NAS is pre-configured with a
   default tunnel name, this name MAY be inserted in the attribute.  The
   RADIUS server MAY ignore the hint sent by the NAS and it MAY assign a
   different AFTR tunnel name.