Re: [AAA-WG]: issue with expected response calculation

Jo Hermans <jo.hermans@gmail.com> Tue, 12 April 2005 22:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:44:15 +0200
From: Jo Hermans <jo.hermans@gmail.com>
To: aaa-wg@merit.edu
Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: issue with expected response calculation
Sender: owner-aaa-wg@merit.edu

Replying on my own question ...

On 4/12/05, Jo Hermans <jo.hermans@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with paragraph 8.5.6.1 <http://8.5.6.1> in
> draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-sip-app-07 , 3th paragraph ("Please note that the
> expected response ...")
>
> The draft mentions that the expected response calculation can't be done
> when the SIP UA has sent a expected response based on client nonces. It then
> mentions that this is the case when the qop-parameter is present in the
> client request.
>
> That last part I don't understand. I though that H(A1) is dependent on the
> algorithm, not qop. Qop has only influence on the A2 and digest, which are
> both calculated in the Diameter Client (SIP Server). See also <
> http://danforsberg.info:8080/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-sip/issue40>
>
> But even then I don't understand. I think that the Diameter Server does
> has the client-nonces available (they're in the SIP-Authorization AVP, and
> were used to calculate the request digest !)), and is able to calculate a
> H(A1). Even if MD5-sess was used, it could still calculate H(A1). MD5-sess
> also has the added advantage that H(A1) could only be used once, which is
> also the reason why draft-sterman-aaa-sip-04.txt doesn't want to use MD5
> unless the message is protected against eavesdropping.

Now I see that the Digest-HA1 attribute is present in the SIp-Authenticate
AVP, which probably never saw a cnonce at all, because it's part of the
challenge. My mistake was that I thought that it was in SIP-Authorisation
too.

This also means that if a server decides to include Digest-Ha1 to assist the
SIP-server (to avoid that the next packet with the Sip-Authorisation should
be forwarded to the server too), then it should not offer the SIP UA to use
MD5-sess, because that includes client-nonces in A1. Qop is not a problem,
despite paragraph 3 in section 8.5.6.1 <http://8.5.6.1> of sip-app-07.

I agree that if qop is missing and algorithm is MD5, client-nonces aren't

--
Jo Hermans
www.bluesweb.org <http://www.bluesweb.org>

"Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines"