[AAA-WG]: DCC draft 05: summary of changes

<marco.stura@nokia.com> Mon, 24 May 2004 11:25 UTC

Subject: [AAA-WG]: DCC draft 05: summary of changes
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:24:03 +0300
From: marco.stura@nokia.com
To: aaa-wg@merit.edu
Cc: aboba@internaut.com, john.loughney@nokia.com, bwijnen@lucent.com, david@mitton.com
Sender: owner-aaa-wg@merit.edu

Hi AAA folks,

we published the DCC draft 05 sometime ago but we actually didn't send the
summary of changes, what the AD requested, to the working group.

The summary of main changes is given below. If no one objects, the document
should be ready for IESG review.

Regards
Marco

1- Some of the abbreviations used along the document was expanded (e.g. SIP --> Session Initiation Protocol).
2- Consistent use of AAA Server and home AAA Diameter Server terminology along the document: AAA Server to indicate
    generically the AAA server (RADIUS/Diameter AAA server) and Home AAA Diameter Server.
3- RADIUS Interworking section reworked according to DCC issue 33. RADIUS related text in section 2 moved to the
    interworking section.
4- Added reference in section 2 to the RFC 3588 section 2.8 where the roles of Diameter agents are defined.
5- Added reference in section 3 to the RFC 3588 section 3.2 where the ABNF of the command is defined.
6- Section 4.1: added rules how to include RADIUS vendor specific attributes in service specific documents as discussed in
    aaa mailing-list (http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg00537.html).

        When service specific documents include RADIUS vendor specific attributes that could be used as input in the rating
         process, the rules described in [NASREQ] for formatting the Diameter AVP MUST be followed. For example, the
         AVP code used is the vendor attribute type code, the Vendor-Specific flag MUST be set to 1 and the Vendor-ID
         MUST be set to the IANA Vendor identification value. The Diameter AVP data field contains only the attribute
         value of the RADIUS attribute.
7- Clarified in section 5.1 the applicability of the basic tariff time change mechanism for time based services as discussed in the
    mailing list (http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg00414.html).
8- Added in section 5.1.1 better explanation of rating-group and service-identifier as well as graphical representation of the
    relation between service-identifiers, rating-groups, credit pools and credit-control (sub-)session, as requested by AD review.
9- Rewrite of second paragraph in section 5.5 to clarify server initiated re-authorization at different granularirty, as requested by
    AD review.
10- Section 5.7: rewrite of sixth paragraph to clarify the reason of Tx definition. Requested by AD review.
11- Section 7: added following sentence to clarify why stop Tx action is not mentioned when moving to Idle state.

          The Tx timer, which is used to control the waiting time in the Credit control client in the PENDING state, is stopped
          when exiting the Pending state. The stopping of the Tx timer is omitted in the state machine when the new state is
          Idle since moving to Idle state implies the clearing of the session and all the variables associated to it.
12- Section 7: Diameter DCC server state machine clarified for one-time event
       (http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg00575.html).

More can be found from the below extract of the conversation we (authors) had with the AD.