Re: Mailserver URL proposal

Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net> Tue, 26 July 1994 14:30 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Mailserver URL proposal
To: "Stephen R. van den Berg" <berg@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 09:24:05 -0400
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

> Marc VanHeyningen <mvanheyn@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how much I missed about this discussion, but, here are
> some things that I had in mind:
>
> 1. Having read the mailserver proposal I got the impression that you intend
>    for the server to actually send the mail.  I think this definitely is the
>    wrong way to go.  The client should be calling sendmail (or whatever),
>    this also resolves the problem of somehow passing the sender address, since
>    it will be generated by sendmail (who is actually the only one capable of
>    deciding what it should look like).

The client (or whatever agent is using this URL) would form a mail
message and then pass it onto a mail transport agent, such as sendmail.
This is really no different than what a typical mail user agent (such as
elm or eudora) does.

> 2. The mailto: URL already allows for arbitray headers to be defined.
>    What about implementing the "mailserver" URL like this:
>
> <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="mailto:berg@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de">
> <MH HIDDEN>Subject: WWW Questionaire</MH>
> <MB HIDDEN>
> This will be in the body
> of the mail
> </MB>
> <P ALIGN=CENTER><INPUT TYPE=submit>
> </FORM>

Not quite Mark.  This is html+, which is specific to the 2nd generation
WWW clients.  This works fine in that context.  But, we are designing a
general standard here, not WWW.  Peter D's comments on this matter are
exactly my own.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman                  |
Lake Worth, Florida, USA          |