Re: [abfab] draft-ietf-abfab-arch-03.txt - GSS

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 17 August 2012 11:55 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:55:49 +0300
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans@painless-security.com>
Cc: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, abfab@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [abfab] draft-ietf-abfab-arch-03.txt - GSS

Hi Sam,

thanks also for the quick response to this mail.

On Aug 16, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

>    Hannes> Section 3.2:
>
>    Hannes>    However there are a variety of situations where this
>    Hannes> authentication is not checked for policy or usability
>    Hannes> reasons.
>
>    Hannes> We cannot make the assumption that the software does not do
>    Hannes> authentication or check the result of the authentication
>    Hannes> process since then the entire security solution does not
>    Hannes> work anymore.
>
> Section 3.2 is all about providing alternatives when this check is not
> done.
> This check is not done in practice a *lot*. There are lots of
> application libraries that do not check server certificates.

I guess we just have a different understanding here.

My strategy is to fix the lack of certificate checking.

Your strategy is to define a new specification that provides an additional mechanism for doing a similar check assuming that it would get implemented.

I am failing to see why people would implement your alternative mechanisms when they did not bother to implement the certificate checking.

> Actually the TLS channel bindings have been designed with a couple of
> strategies for dealing with load balancers and in general for allowing a
> server to securly indicate that it cannot provide channel bindings
> and so server certs are all you get.

Interesting. I didn't know that.
Where do I read more about this?

>    Hannes> consistent with the GSS-API specification.  XXXThere is an
>    Hannes> open question here as to the details; today RFC 5554
>    Hannes> governs.  We could use that and the current draft assumes we
>    Hannes> will.  However in Beijing we became aware of some changes to
>    Hannes> these details that would make life much better for GSS
>    Hannes> authentication of HTTP.  We should resolve this with kitten
>    Hannes> and replace this note with a reference to the spec we're
>    Hannes> actually following.
>
>    Hannes> Regarding the inline note have we come to a conclusion about
>    Hannes> this issue already?
>
> Yeah, we're just using the existing stuff.
> Nothing new has materialized in the IETF.

Great to hear.

Maybe it would be good to fix this note in the text so that we can finish it asap.

>    Hannes> Section 3.3:
>
>    Hannes>    GSS-API provides a pseudo-random function.  While the
>    Hannes> pseudo-random function does not involve sending data over
>    Hannes> the wire, it provides an algorithm that both the initiator
>    Hannes> and acceptor can run in order to arrive at the same key
>    Hannes> value.  This is useful for designs where a successful
>    Hannes> authentication is used to key some other function.  This is
>    Hannes> similar in concept to the TLS extractor.  No current IETF
>    Hannes> protocols require this.  However GSS-EAP supports this
>    Hannes> service because it is valuable for the future and easy to do
>    Hannes> given per- message services.  Non-IETF protocols are
>    Hannes> expected to take advantage of this in the near future.
>

>    Hannes> I would delete this paragraph since it is confusing, is not
>    Hannes> relevant for the work we are doing, and does not relate to
>    Hannes> the previous paragraph either.
>
> How is this not relevant?
> GSS-EAP implementations are required to provide gss_pseudo_random.

Hmmm. Maybe I should re-read GSS-EAP. Will do that and then I will come back to this issue.

Ciao
Hannes