Re: [abfab] charter take 3

Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net> Fri, 13 August 2010 18:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:34:42 -0700
From: Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: Leif Johansson <leifj@sunet.se>
Cc: abfab@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [abfab] charter take 3

Leif,

The charter looks much better.  I've still got a few questions, but now they are
relatively narrow and specific:

On 8/13/2010 12:32 AM, Leif Johansson wrote:
> Abfab Proposed Charter
>
> Abfab - Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond web
>
> Federated identity shares user authorization information among
> organizations, without specific registration of the individual user at
> the organization controlling a a remote resource.  A number of such
> mechanisms are in use for the Web.  This working group will specify a
> federated identity mechanism for use by other Internet services, such as
> IMAP, XMPP, SSH, NFS and other non-IETF protocols, not based on Web
> protocols.  The design will combine existing IETF protocols,
> specifically SAML, EAP (RFC 3748) and AAA (RADIUS, Diameter).  With the
> deployment of the solution, a user from one organization will be able to
> access resources at another organization, given only prior agreement
> between the organizations, or prior agreement between each organization
> and a trusted intermediary.
>
> While work continues elsewhere on basic mechanisms that rely on using an
> HTTP/HTML interface to authenticate and authorize non-web applications,

As noted (or at least implied) by another posting this morning, perhaps this
should simply say:

      ...that rely on using an HTTP/HTML interface for authentication and
authorization...

> this working group will look at approaches that do not rely on the web,
> taking into account user interface concerns and the need to pass
> structured data to an appropriate authentication interface, as well as
> the need to handle large scale discovery.

On reflection, I'm not clear what the purpose of citing the outside work is.

The more I re-read this second paragraph, the more I believe it adds no value.
I suggest simply deleting it.

> The working group will develop a solution for federated identity for
> IETF and non-IETF application protocols by combining SAML, EAP (RFC
> 3748) and AAA (RADIUS, Diameter). Specifically EAP will be used to
> authenticate the subject to a trusted party, AAA (RADIUS and Diameter)
> will be used to authenticate and convey information from that party to a
> relying party and SAML is used for authorization and personalization.

IF there is a practical import to citing "non-IETF" applications, I don't know
what it is.  The charter should either make that real in technical or process
terms, or it should delete the reference to the 'homes' of application
specifications.

So, I suggest:

     The working group will specify a federated identity service for use by
applications, by combining...

> The working group may consider other alternative technology for these
> three roles in the architecture but any change in direction in this
> respect requires rechartering of the working group.

I typically dislike references to hypothetical futures and especially to things
that might be considered but which will require rechartering.

In this case, however, I think it defines a high barrier for replacing the
technical components and it hits the reader in the face with how much effort it
will take to climb the barrier.  So, I like it.

> Constraints:
> - ------------
>
> Initially the working group will focus on using GSS-API (RFC2743) as
> a mechanism for integrating the developed solution for federated
> identity into application protocols but other technologies for
> application interface are in scope of the working group and may be
> adopted as deliverables subject to the normal IETF consensus and
> (re)charter process.

    developed solution for federated identity
    ->
    federated identity service

(yes, this is the second placed I'm suggesting moving from 'solution' to
'service' and using somewhat more direct language.  i think it makes a
difference to the reading.)

> The working group will ensure that any solution developed has built-
> in technical controls for privacy protection.

I still have no idea what this means either conceptually or in terms of working
group work.

> The working group may not change EAP (beyond the development of EAP
> mechanisms), RADIUS or Diameter without establishing consensus with
> the appropriate community within the IETF.
>
> The working group will use the following documents as a starting
> point for its work:
>
> - - draft-howlett-eap-gss-00,
> - - draft-howlett-radius-saml-attr-00
> - - draft-hartman-gss-eap-naming-00

I'm pretty sure these are more than "starting points". That's a pretty vague
term and I think you folks intend something more specific and that it means
significant constraints on the changes to these specification that are
considered permissible.

These are the base specifications.  What are the criteria for making changes to
them?

That's what the charter should say, unless you folks have a different intent.