Re: [abfab] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-abfab-eapapplicability-03

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Tue, 18 June 2013 19:35 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:34:44 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "abfab@ietf.org" <abfab@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [abfab] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-abfab-eapapplicability-03

> [Joe] Good points, the text can be more specific:
>
> "In environments where EAP is used for purposes other than network access
> authentication all EAP servers MUST enforce channel bindings.  For application
> authentication, the EAP server MUST require that the correct EAP lower-layer
> attribute be present in the channel binding data.   For network access
> authentication, the EAP server MUST require that if channel bindings are
> present they MUST contain the correct EAP lower-layer attribute.   All network
> access EAP peer implementations SHOULD use channel bindings including the EAP
> lower-layer attribute to explicitly identify the reason for authentication.
> Any new usage of EAP MUST use channel bindings including the EAP lower-layer
> attribute to prevent confusion with network access usage. "

This is looking good, modulo Sam's comment on EAP lower-layer vs. something
else that I'll leave to you and he to sort out.  I have a suggested rewrite,
mostly to clarify MUST vs. SHOULD requirements for support vs. usage, and
to reformat into a structured bullet list of requirements (this is not
intended to change any requirements from what you wrote):

"In environments where EAP is used for purposes other than network access
authentication:

	o All EAP servers and all application access EAP peers MUST
		support channel bindings.  All network access EAP peers
		SHOULD support channel bindings.

	o Channel binding MUST be used for all application authentication.
		The EAP server MUST require that the correct EAP lower-layer
		attribute be present in the channel binding data for
		application authentication.

	o Channel binding SHOULD be used for all network access authentication,
		and when channel binding data is present, the EAP server MUST
		require that it contain the correct EAP lower-layer attribute
		to explicitly identify the reason for authentication.

	o Any new usage of EAP MUST use channel bindings including the
		EAP lower-layer attribute to prevent confusion with network
		access usage."

Thanks,
--David