Re: [abfab] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-howlett-abfab-trust-router-ps-03.txt

David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk> Tue, 12 March 2013 18:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:48:54 +0000
From: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
To: Rhys Smith <smith@cardiff.ac.uk>
Cc: "abfab@ietf.org" <abfab@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [abfab] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-howlett-abfab-trust-router-ps-03.txt

Hi Rhys

having read your draft could I suggest

1. some changes in terminology

Trust Arbitrator - > Reputation Service or Reputation Service Operator
depending upon context

Trust Advisor - > Root of Trust

These two entities are quite different, but by using very similar
notation for both, as you do, it tends to conflate them into being
almost the same. I would prefer it if different terms could be used,
that a) better describe their functionality, and b) better differentiate
between them. It would also remove the tautology from this sentence

A Trust Arbitrators/Advisors can attempt to become the arbiter of
        trust for multiple communities.

2. that you have downplayed the complexity in establishing technical
trust between entities. Joining an Authentication Policy Community might
actually be quite time consuming and tedious, if you have to prove that
you conform to a certain set of policies (e.g. LOA 3).

3. wrt section 5.1, the scientific EGI community might strongly disagree
with your conclusions here. I think they think that PKI works just fine,
is infinitely scalable and very secure. But you should check with them.

regards

David