Re: [abnf-discuss] Core Rules and References for ABNF: draft-seantek-abnf-more-core-rules-07.txt

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Thu, 29 September 2016 13:59 UTC

To: abnf-discuss@ietf.org
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:59:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [abnf-discuss] Core Rules and References for ABNF: draft-seantek-abnf-more-core-rules-07.txt

I'd like to comment on why I think this is important:

Most of the drafts I have been interested in over the years contain
ABNF, and most of the time that ABNF is dependent on other ABNF rules
that reside in another draft or RFC. Such cross references are indicated
in ad-hoc fashion. When authoring or reviewing such a document, one
would like to be able to verify that the new ABNF is correct. At the
least this ought to be done at the time of WGLC and LC. But actually
doing that verification is a pain. To be sure of it, one needs to
extract the ABNF from the document in question *and* from the documents
that contain referenced ABNF rules. This is tedious work, and in my
experience it most often is not done.

Furthermore, when ABNF rules in other drafts are referenced informally
this way the semantics of doing so aren't especially clear. Is it
assumed that complete ABNF containing the referenced rule is included?
Or should only the definition of the referenced rulename and the
definitions of any rules thus referenced be included? Or should a
functional definition of the referenced rule be used that doesn't drag
along any other rules used in that definition. These distinctions are
important because they determine what happens if the new ABNF defines
rules with the same names as rules defined in the referenced ABNF.

Formalizing a cross-reference syntax and semantics resolves these
issues. The semantics can be nailed down, and tools can be built to
automatically to the extractions. This will make it feasible to automate
ABNF syntax verification, for instance as part of IdNits.

	Thanks,
	Paul