Re: [Ace] attribute based access control

Randy Turner <rturner@amalfisystems.com> Thu, 26 January 2017 22:58 UTC

From: Randy Turner <rturner@amalfisystems.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 02:11:24 -0500
To: Ludwig Seitz <ludwig@sics.se>
Cc: ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ace] attribute based access control

Hi Ludwig,

Apologies for getting back to you so late on your ABAC-related email reply — your approach sounds very similar to what we were thinking - originally, we were looking at CBOR-encoded JSON that represented an equivalent XACML authorization request.  However, we are also exploring ACE credentials grant flows as well, interpreting one or more token fields in our own way.

I think an ABAC form of ACE would be a popular use-case going forward, and I was thinking an ABAC profile of ACE could be a “normative” thing, instead of an informational appendix or other example text.  This would allow my client to work with your AS, and other potential interoperable scenarios.  At the moment, our interpretation of how to do this would be a proprietary use of the token fields.

I looked at the ACE document collection and I’m not sure I see a document wherein a normative profile of a credentials grant for ABAC would fit.  Do you think an ABAC profile of ACE should be spec’d as a standards track document ?

Thanks!
Randy