Re: [Ace] Next step for use case document

Likepeng <likepeng@huawei.com> Wed, 08 October 2014 10:35 UTC

From: Likepeng <likepeng@huawei.com>
To: Göran Selander <goran.selander@ericsson.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "ace@ietf.org" <ace@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:34:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.167.122]
Subject: Re: [Ace] Next step for use case document

Hi Goran,

Thanks for the input.

My understanding of the " secure store and forward " use case is mainly about "object security", right?

We discussed "object security" during IESG evaluation, and I remember the conclusion is, this should be in scope:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg00619.html

> The utility company wants to verify stored and forwarded metering data with
> respect to authenticity, integrity and replay.

About the authenticity, integrity and replay, they seem to be quite general and not specific to "store and forward" use case.

Maybe it is better to go to a little bit more detail.

For example, about integrity, we can say, distribution entity (e.g. Data Collection unit) may read the data, and must not modify the data.

> The utility company wants to configure utility meters securely: The devices
> should be able to verify that a configuration request is authorized, authentic,
> integrity and replay protected.

About configuration, I expect this should be out of scope and should be done by out-of-band mechanisms.

Kind Regards
Kepeng