Re: [Ace] Questions for the IETF#90 Meeting

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 11 July 2014 09:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:30:16 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: "ace@ietf.org" <ace@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ace] Questions for the IETF#90 Meeting

Hi Michael,

thanks for the feedback.

One minor remark on the Kerberos cross-realm authentication.

My understanding of the challenge with deployments (from discussions
with the Kerberos folks) is that there have to be business reasons for
deploying cross-realm authentication. These business reasons are not
always there and they require a considerable amount of effort since
business agreements (including legal aspects) do not necessarily scale
in the same way as technology could do.

This is also a painful lesson the original OpenID guys learned (which is
why it is dead now). They approached the problem of federations in a
technical way and failed to understand that federations are 95%
business/legal constructs and only 5% technology.

Ciao
Hannes