Re: [Ace] Design Consideration Document as one milestone?

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 13 March 2014 16:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 17:05:56 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Göran Selander <goran.selander@ericsson.com>, "ace@ietf.org" <ace@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ace] Design Consideration Document as one milestone?

Hi Goeran,

you raise another difficult question that relates a bit to the type of
IoT devices have in mind. I fully agree with the challenge you
identified regarding symmetric vs. asymmetric key crypto. It will be
difficult to reach a consensus on that topic since most people in the
group are actually not building devices themselves and therefore just
use what fits their solution best.

The cost of transmission that you mention is also important but the
implication of just having fewer round-trips is a bit too simplistic
since a constrained resource server will obviously suffer a lot since he
has to listen for incoming connection attempts.

So, I fear that (while these are super important aspects) we will have a
hard time to make any useful decisions about them is two-fold:

 * We are not designing complete systems in the IETF and the energy
assumption relates to the overall system (rather than a single
protocol). Most of it is outside the IETF protocol design.

 * The processing capability obviously depends on the hardware and we
are not making any statement about hardware in the group. Looking at
Carsten's presentation from the BOF it also relates to cost, which is
again a very complicated topic since hardware cost is not the only cost
in product development.

The classes in the LWIG terminology document do not go into any level of
details regarding computational power and energy consumption. Only the
memory requirements are listed in more detail and they seem to be rather
hand-wavy.

Ciao
Hannes