Re: [Ace] Review for draft-palombini-ace-coap-pubsub-profile

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 19 December 2019 22:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 14:30:15 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Cigdem Sengul <cigdem.sengul@gmail.com>
Cc: Francesca Palombini <francesca.palombini@ericsson.com>, Ace Wg <ace@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ace] Review for draft-palombini-ace-coap-pubsub-profile

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 03:47:04PM +0000, Cigdem Sengul wrote:
> [...]
> for both.
> To me,  the advantage of not having to synchronise policies in two
> different ASes would be considerable.
>

> > In MQTT token scopes, we also accepted that a publisher represents its
> > PUBLISH rights with topic filters (note a PUBLISH message cannot be sent to
> > a filter, but the topic filters are useful in summarising permissions).
> >
> > Let’s assume there is a publisher with scope
> > “publish_sport/tennis/+/rankings“?
> >

> > FP: The first question I have is if it is even possible to indicate scope
> > like this in ACE. I do not think so (and please correct me if I am wrong),
> > and in this case the scope would have to be expressed as the union of the
> > following URIs: publish_sport/tennis/player1/rankings and
> > publish_sport/tennis/player2/rankings
> >

> CS: This is possible in the mqtt_tls profile because MQTT accepts topic
> filters. And, we defined our scopes such as publish_topic1/#
> subscribe_+/topic2 etc.
>

> > Then being a part of all groups (player 1 and player2) is too general as
> > this publisher cannot publish to everything but only to “rankings”.
> >

> > FP: But once the scope is expressed for "rankings" only, then the doc
> > should cover this case too. Then it is up to the topic owner (and reflected
> > on the AS2) to decide if the keying material is the same for rankings and
> > for the upper-topics (? as opposed to sub-topic) player1 and player2. And
> > similarly, it will be up to the broker to verify that the authorization for
> > publishing to rankings is separate from publishing to player1 and player2..
> > It is also a valid case to make it so sub-topics inherit authorizations,
> > but that would be up to the application to decide. Anyway, these are all
> > valid considerations that need to be made in the document.
> >

> CS: I see that I wasn't clear in my thinking before and mixed up things. I
> was trying to understand how groups map to topics and the topic hierarchy;
> and how group maintenance scales with the increasing number of topics,
> publisher and subscribers. Said another way, who creates groups, and
> creates/updates keys for these groups to be maintained in the KDC?
>
> I agree topic hierarchies require more thought. Here is my second attempt
> at explaining my thinking, which is by no means complete:
> In MQTT, it is possible to publish to all levels in a topic hierarchy e.g.,
> if you have sport/tennis/player1/rankings, it is possible to publish to the
> sport, sport/tennis, sport/player1, sport/player1/rankings...
> One option is to have as many keys as the nodes on the hierarchy
> independent of actual publishers and subscribers to them.  (Assuming this
> hierarchy is pre-built, and AS2 maintains a complete topic-key database).
> So, if publisher P1 comes with rights to publish to sport/tennis - he gets
> the keys for that. But, if he comes with the right to publish to
> sport/tennis/#, he gets multiple keys, one each for every node under

Having to always send all the keys would get frustrating (and/or expensive
in terms of bytes!), but the "other option" below feels quite messy with
respect to having to push out updates when membership/number of groups
changes.  I suppose the right balance depends on actual usage patterns, but
I would mostly expect a flow where permissions on a hierarchy grant the
ability to get any (per-topic) key from the hierarchy, but you still have
to explicitly request the individual key for the individual topics you are
going to post to, to be of most generic applicability.  Am I forgetting a
reason why that's not possible?

Thanks,

Ben