Re: [Ace] draft-schmitt-two-way-authentication-for-iot-02

Likepeng <likepeng@huawei.com> Mon, 07 July 2014 03:52 UTC

From: Likepeng <likepeng@huawei.com>
To: Corinna Schmitt <schmitt@ifi.uzh.ch>, "ace@ietf.org" <ace@ietf.org>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 03:52:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.167.122]
Cc: Burkhard Stiller <stiller@ifi.uzh.ch>
Subject: Re: [Ace] draft-schmitt-two-way-authentication-for-iot-02

Hi Corinna,

Please find my personal feedback to your draft:

Section 2, Terminology: Currently, our charter and most of the other submitted drafts use “Client”, “Resource Server”, “Authorization Server”. To keep consistency, it is better to use these terminologies to replace “Publisher”, “Subscriber” and “Access Control Server”.

Section 3, High Level Design Requirements: the objective of this section is quite similar to the “design considerations” draft. It is better to consolidate this section with the draft.
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seitz-ace-design-considerations/

Section 4, It seems that that most of the design considerations (e.g. assumed network stack, handshake message flows) will also be applied for Class 1 devices. It is better to indicate the common design considerations first, then highlight what more we can achieve by Class 2 devices.

Section 5.1, 5.2 and 6, Use cases and Requirements: Maybe it is better to consolidate these sections with the “Use cases and requirements” draft:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seitz-ace-usecases/

Section 5.3, Data Access Procedures: it seems that interactions between Gateway and Publisher are out of scope? Because from the flows, the Gateway is not involved in the data access flow any more. Also about the last two steps “Two-way authentication handshake between Subscriber and Publisher” and “Data exchange using DTLS secured channel”, in these two steps, is “Access Control Server” involved in the data access flow?

Section 10, Formal Syntax: It is better to put this section as a sub-section of Section 2, to let readers better understand the meaning of the abbreviations.

Thanks,

Kind Regards
Kepeng (Individual)