[Acme] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 07 April 2021 21:02 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation@ietf.org, acme-chairs@ietf.org, acme@ietf.org, ynir.ietf@gmail.com, rsalz@akamai.com, rsalz@akamai.com
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:02:00 -0700
Subject: [Acme] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. The usefulness of this
specification is clear and important!

Special thanks for the doc shepherd's write-up as it writes about the WG
consensus/discussion.

Please find below some blocking DISCUSS points, some non-blocking COMMENT
points (but replies would be appreciated), and some nits.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Abstract --
Should "delegated identifier" be more defined ? Honestly, after reading the
abstract, I have no clue...

-- Section 1 --
In "This document is a companion document to [RFC8739]" is "companion" the
right word? I am not a native English speaker but "companion" sounds like the
fates of two documents are bound together, suggest to use "complements" ?

In the abstract CDN is just a use case while, in this introduction section, it
is the main goal.

Please expand "NDC" at first use ? Perhaps moving section 1.1 earlier ?

  "We note that other ongoing efforts address the problem of certificate
   delegation for TLS connections, specifically [I-D.ietf-tls-subcerts]
   and [I-D.mglt-lurk-tls13]."
I am trusting the responsible ADs (SEC & TSV) about having 2+ competing IETF
standards...

-- Section 2 --
It is a little unclear whether there is one NDC (one per CDN) or multiple NDC
(one per edge-cache). The latter could have scalability issues. Section 1.1
seems to indicate the former but it may be ambiguous.

-- Section 2.3.1.2 --
As I am not an expert in CDN, I wonder whether the example entry for
'cname-map' is correct? (I would have used "abc.ido.ndc.example." as the value).

== NITS ==

-- Abstract --
s/This memo defines/This document defines/ AFAIK, the 'memo' wording was used
back in the XXth century ;-)

-- Section 1.1 --
s/symmetry/similarity/ ?