Re: [Actn] Regarding draft-lopez-actn-vno-multidomains

Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com> Fri, 20 June 2014 19:40 UTC

From: Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>
To: Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.dhody@huawei.com>, "Diego R. Lopez" <diego@tid.es>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 19:39:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.119]
Cc: "draft-lopez-actn-vno-multidomains@tools.ietf.org" <draft-lopez-actn-vno-multidomains@tools.ietf.org>, "actn@ietf.org" <actn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Actn] Regarding draft-lopez-actn-vno-multidomains

-----Original Message-----
From: Dhruv Dhody
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:24 AM
To: Leeyoung; Diego R. Lopez
Cc: draft-lopez-actn-vno-multidomains@tools.ietf.org; actn@ietf.org

Hi Diego and Young,

Thanks for the reply, some comments inline to both the mails...

[DD] It does! But I was wondering if it helps to mention a reference to another use-case document (which mentions VN per tenant/customer) or just a sentence clarifying this?

> Thanks,
>
> Young

[DD] To me it adds another dimension to technology, administrative zones, vendor-islands etc. I leave the text changes to your better judgment.
> >>    . The operation and control/management of these multiple networks
> >>       as a single virtualized network.
> >>

> > Since there will be multiple virtual networks, can we change to 'a
> > single virtualized network for a customer' instead?
>
> Shall que use "per tenant", following the common virtualization jargon?
[DD] ok (see reply to Young's comment as well)

> >>  Figure 2 shows operations hierarchy based on Figure 1. The two
> >> main ideas are:
> >>
> >>  1. Domain control/management entities (e.g., DCN Domain Control A, B,
> >>    C and TN Domain Control) are kept intact to continue its domain
> >>    operations with its technology choice and policy, etc. As
> >>    discussed before domain control/management entities can be a form
> >>    of various types (e.g., SDN-controller, NMS/EMS, Control Plane, or
> >>    a combination of these entities, etc.) that is responsible for
> >>    domain-specific network operations.
> >>
> >>  2. The VNO Coordinator establishes a standard-based API (which is
> >>    termed as the Virtual Network Operations Interface (VNO-I) in
> >>    Figure 2) with each of the domain control/management entities. The
> >>    VNO coordination takes place via the VNO-I's.
> >
> > Can this be aligned to the framework document and clarify that VNO
> > Coordinator is VNC while DCN and TN control are PNC?  VNO-I is
> > VNC-PNC Interface (VPI)?
>
> This alignment you request makes a lot of sense to me. In fact,
> wherever there are one-to-one mappings we should use the framework
> document terminology
[DD] Thanks, I agree.

> > Also I was wondering if there exist another entity customer similar
> > to the framework document?
>
> I under the impression the customer entity is implicit here, and
> therefore not mentioned...
[DD] Okay

> >>       It is the responsibility of domain control/management entity to
> >>       create an abstraction of its network topology. The level of
> >>       abstraction varies from one domain to another, subject to local
> >>       domain policy. All EPs and gateway nodes to other domains need
> >>       to be represented at a minimum. The level of internal nodes and
> >>       links may be abstracted according to its domain policy.
> >
> > Do you think it is possible that domain-level control provides raw
> > topology and VNO coordinator is responsible for global abstraction?
>
> That's an option, that implies full trust between every domain control
> entity and the VNO, but other degrees of trust can exist, where a
> given domain control could not want to share the full detail of its
> underlying topology to a VNO.
[DD] Suggest we word the text such that both models can exist.