[Add] Current add drafts

Ralf Weber <dns@fl1ger.de> Tue, 28 July 2020 13:25 UTC

From: Ralf Weber <dns@fl1ger.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 15:25:34 +0200
Subject: [Add] Current add drafts

Moin!

So in preparation for the add wg meeting I read all the documents that
are add related as per data tracker and some others. And while I gave
some feedback to some directly I took a step back and categorised them
for me and want to share that with you, maybe using this to find some
common ground or a way forward.

1. The first category is “informational drafts”:
These are drafts that look or describe the status quo of the problem
space or at least some aspects of it. The drafts in this scenario are:
- draft-campling-operator-observations
- draft-deen-add-threats
- draft-mglt-add-signaling-filtering-policies

2. The second category is “use existing network technologies to
upgrade to a secure transport”:
These drafts are using existing network technologies like DHCP or RA
(and a lot more) to convey a secure transport to a client. I was amazed
by the depth and width of the technologies covered in these drafts. They
are:
- draft-btw-add-home
- draft-btw-add-ipsecme-ike
- draft-btw-add-rfc8484-clarification
- draft-reddy-add-enterprise
- draft-reddy-add-iot-byod-bootstrap
- draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection

3. The third category is “just put it in the DNS”:
These drafts use the DNS as direct as possible to get you to a secure
transport. These drafts are:
- draft-cook-doh-discovery-trial
- draft-pp-add-resinfo
- draft-pp-add-stub-upgrade
- draft-rescorla-doh-cdisco

4. The fourth category is “create another layer(s) to solve the
problem”:
These drafts use DNS or HTTPs, or both to create one or more additional
layers to discover “resolvers”. These drafts are:
- draft-mglt-add-rdp
- draft-pauly-add-resolver-discovery
- draft-schinazi-httpbis-doh-preference-hints

This of course is how I see the drafts and is a very rough
categorisation and some aspects of some drafts might fall into other
categories, but I am happy to discuss this. However coming from this
categorisation my view on working group work is like this:

Category one is needed, but is very controversial as we already seen, so
it will take a long time to come with something that everybody can agree
on. Category two looks like a desirable end goal for me as it is the
right place for the network to do stuff, but given that it is very
complex and broad and requires interactions with other groups so it
might take some time to finalise it, but it should be at least our
medium term goal. Also as most of category two is really in the lower
levels of an operating system it might be hard for an application to get
the rights from the OS to do these things. Which is were category three
comes in that I see a good short term solution to get users to secure
transport as the barriers for applications and providers of DNS services
are very low. I’m struggling with category 4 as it creates another
distributed overlay over an already distributed DNS system. I can
understand the need to make a direct DNS connection from the end user to
the content, but if you want to do this an IMHO better solution would be
to put the recursive resolver in the end user device and work with
dprive to secure the recursive to authoritative DNS connections.

So long
-Ralf
—--
Ralf Weber