Re: [alto] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 28 January 2022 19:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 11:37:42 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, alto-chairs <alto-chairs@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics@ietf.org, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 08:13:02PM -0500, Y. Richard Yang wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thank you so much for the wonderful, fast, thorough reviews! I understand
> that Qin has already sent a reply and please see below.

Yes, Qin's reply was quite helpful -- thanks, Qin!

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 7:58 PM Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <
> noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> > Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
> > draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-21: Discuss
> >
> > When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
> > email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
> > introductory paragraph, however.)
> >

> > Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
> > for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
> >

> > The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

> > DISCUSS:
> >
> > Thank you for addressing my previous discuss points with the -21 (and my
> > apologies for the spurious one!); I'm glad to see that they were indeed
> > easy to address.
> >
> > However, I have looked over the changes from -20 to -21 and seem to have
> > found a couple more issues that should be addressed:
> >
> > (1) I can't replicate the Content-Length values in the examples (I only
> > looked at Examples 1 and 2).  Can you please share the methodology used
> > to generate the values?  My testing involved copy/paste from the
> > htmlized version of the draft to a file, manually editing that file to
> > remove the leading three spaces that come from the formatting of the
> > draft, and using Unix wc(1) on the resulting file.  It looks like the
> > numbers reported in the -21 are computed as the overall number of
> > characters in the file *minus* the number of lines in the file, but I
> > think it should be the number of characters *plus* the number of lines,
> > to accommodate the HTTP CRLF line endings.  (My local temporary files
> > contain standard Unix LF (0x0a) line endings, verified by hexdump(1).)
> >

> This is very helpful and we are impressed! Below is the method that we are
> finally using:
> copy .json file to a text file, e.g., example1-req.json
> {
>   "cost-type" : {"cost-mode"   : "numerical",
>                  "cost-metric" : "delay-ow"},
>   "endpoints" : {
>     "srcs" : [ "ipv4:192.0.2.2" ],
>     "dsts" : [
>       "ipv4:192.0.2.89",
>       "ipv4:198.51.100.34"
>     ]
>   }
> }
>
> Issue a curl request to example.com:
> curl -v --http1.1 -X POST -H 'Content-Type: application/json' --crlf
> --data-binary @$i example.com 2>&1 -o /dev/null | grep -Fi '>
> Content-Length'
>
> Note that it sets http/1.1, and asks curl to fix the crlf issue (I am using
> a mac and hence have 0x0a). Note $i is the input file. For example, for the
> updated example1-req.json, we get 225. Is it consistent with your method?

For what it's worth, my reading of the curl manual is that the "--crlf" is
not needed here (and indeed in my local testing on FreeBSD the same
content-length is used regardless of whether or not --crlf is used).

I believe that this curl-based procedure will produce the correct results.
(My original statement about adding the number of lines seems to be
incorrect; sorry to have caused confusion with that.)

Thanks for investigating and finding a good solution.

> > (2) We seem to be inconsistent about what the "cur" statistical operator
> > for the "bw-utilized" metric indicates -- in §4.4.3 it is "the current
> > instantaneous sample", but in §4.4.4 it is somehow repurposed as "The
> > current ("cur") utilized bandwidth of a path is the maximum of the
> > available bandwidth of all links on the path."
> >

> Good comment. I see where the potential confusion can be. How about the
> following change to make clear the definition of utilized bandwidth for a
> path?
> "The base semantics of the metric is the Unidirectional Utilized Bandwidth
> metric defined in [RFC8571,RFC8570,RFC7471], but instead of specifying the
> utilized bandwidth for a link, it is the utilized bandwidth of the path
> from the source to the destination, where the utilized bandwidth of the
> path from the source to the destination is defined as the maximum utilized
> bandwidth among all links from the source to the destination."
>
> Overall, I agree that we should not add bw-utilized to be fully consistent,
> and we will just reverted bw-utilized.

I don't want to dwell on this topic too much since it sounds like we're
going to just remove bw-utilized, but to briefly answer your question: the
proposed text looks like a good clear definition of the semantics of the
metric.  I think that the §4.4.4 text would need to be adjusted to talk
about "utilized bandwidth" rather than "available bandwidth" of all links
on the path, in order to match it.

> > COMMENT:
> >
> > I cannot currently provide a concise explanation of the nature of my
> > unease with the "bw-utilized" metric specification that is new in this
> > revision (so as to elevate it to a Discuss-level concern), but I
> > strongly urge the authors and WG to consider my comments on Section 4.4.3.
> >
> > The new text in Section 1 explaining the origins of the metrics (e.g.,
> > from TE performance metrics) and why some other TE metrics are not
> > defined is nicely done.  I trust the responsible AD and WG chairs to
> > ensure that it, and the other places where we have added new exposition,
> > has gotten the appropriate level of review from the WG membership.
> >

> It is wonderful that you caught it immediately. The reason chain was
> the perfect consistency, but it is not a good idea. So we will just drop
> this new metric.
>

> > Section 3.1.2, 3.2.2
> >
> > I see that the delay-ow and delay-rt semantics have been changed from
> > milliseconds to microseconds going from -20 to -21.  Either
> > representation seems fine, but it may be risky to make such a change so
> > late in the publication process, especially if there are already
> > implementations in place.  I also don't see any AD ballot comments that
> > seem to motivate the change, so I'm a bit curious how it arose -- is it
> > for consistency with the corresponding TE link metrics?
> >

> Exactly. It was motived by the authors' search for as perfect consistency
> and we noted that
> we used milliseconds in our drafts and OSPF/ISIS/BGP-LS use microseconds.
> So we made the
> quick change.

Thanks for confirming.  Hopefully we are in touch with all implementations
and can get them adjusted quickly.

> > Section 3.3.3
> >
> >    Intended Semantics: To specify temporal and spatial aggregated delay
> >    variation (also called delay jitter)) with respect to the minimum
> >    delay observed on the stream over the one-way delay from the
> >    specified source and destination, where the one-way delay is defined
> >    in Section 3.1.  A non-normative reference definition of end-to-end
> >    one-way delay variation is [RFC3393].  [...]
> >
> > I note that RFC 3393 explicitly says that as part of the metric, several
> > parameters must be specified, most notably the selection function F that
> > unambiguously defines the two packets selected for the metric.  While
> > it's allowed for F to select as the "first" packet the one with the
> > smallest one-way delay, which maps up to the "with respect to the
> > minimum delay observed on the stream" here, it seems to me that it's
> > fairly important to call out that we are not allowing the full
> > flexibility of the RFC 3393 metric.  Assuming, of course, that we
> > specifically have that as the intent, versus allowing the full
> > generality of RFC 3393.  If there has been some research results since
> > RFC 3393 was published that indicate that it's preferred to use the
> > minimum delay for this purpose, that might be worth listing as a
> > reference in addition to RFC 3393.
> >

> Excellent comment! Here is the new text:
> "A non-normative reference definition of end-to-end one-way delay
> variation is <xref target="RFC3393" />, which allows general delay
> variations
> by specifying a selection function F (Section 2.2 of [RFC3393]). See
> <xref target="RFC5481" /> for additional discussions on RFC3393 related
> packet delay variations. This document focuses on the specific case of
> delay variation with respect to the
> minimum delay observed in the packet stream, as commonly exposed by
> routing link metrics. If an ALTO server provides a delay variation metric
> that
> is not based on the minimum delay, the server can provide the precise
> definition in the "cost-context" field, for example, by specifying a
> general
> IPPM PDV metric in the "parameters" field. The server SHOULD be
> cognizant that the "cost-context" field is optional, and hence the client
> may not interpret the semantics properly."

That looks great; thank you!

> I looked at the IPPM registry
> (
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/performance-metrics/performance-metrics.xhtml
> )
> The only PDV metric defined so far is entry 3, and it is with respect to
> minimum delay.
>

> > Section 3.4.4
> >
> > The estimation of end-to-end loss rate as the sum of per-link loss rates
> > is (1) only valid in the low-loss limit, and (2) assumes that each
> > link's loss events are uncorrelated with every other link's loss events.
> > The current text does mention (2) in the form of "should be cognizant of
> > correlated loss rates", but I don't think it touches on (1) at all.
> > (The general formula for aggregating loss assuming each link is
> > independent is to compute end-to-end loss as one minus the product of
> > the success rate for each link.)
> >

> Excellent comments. How about this updated text:
> "For estimation by aggregation of routing protocol link metrics, the
> default
> aggregation function to compute the loss rate of a path is to compute it as
> one minus the success rate of the path, where the success rate of the path
> is the product of the success rates of the links on the path, and the
> success
> rate of a link is one minus the loss rate of the link. In low loss-rate
> settings,
> the loss rate of a path can be approximated as the sum of link loss rates.
> This aggregation function assumes independent link losses, and the ALTO
> server should be cognizant of correlated link loss rates."

That should work, thanks.

> > Section 4.4.3
> >
> > It seems like there may some subtlety in the interpretation of the
> > "bw-utilized" metric, which leads me to wonder if more caution is
> > advised prior to adding new metrics at this stage in the document
> > lifecycle.  In particular, it seems like it would be natural to attempt
> > to compare the "bw-utilized" value against the "bw-maxres" value and
> > "bw-residual" value, but it seems to me that the inferences that can be
> > made by such comparisons will depend on the topology in question.
> >

> > Routers and link capacities between them:
> >
> >        1Gbps            10Gbps            1Gbps
> >    +-----------------+=================+--------------+
> >    A                 B                 C              D
> >
> > If there is a flow using 6GBps from B to C, that would show up when
> > querying "bw-utilized" between A and B, but that 6Gbps is obviously more
> > than both the maximum reservable and residual bandwidth end-to-end from
> > A to D; likewise, the 4GBps of residual bandwidth on the B-to-C link is
> > also more than the achievable bandwidth end-to-end from A to D.  So it
> > seems like the utilized bandwidth is potentially from totally unrelated
> > flows on paths that only have a minimal set of links in common with the
> > path being queried.  How do we expect someone to use the reported
> > "bw-utilized" values?
> >
> To put it differently, I don't think that the specification of "the
> > maximum utilized bandwidth among all links from the source to the
> > destination" will actually provide the desired "utilized bandwidth of
> > the path from the source to the destination", since the procedure as
> > stated can report a bandwidth that corresponds to a different path.
> >

> Excellent comment! We will just use the previous version w/o bw-utilized
> and will engage you in a separate thread, so that we will not block the
> progress of the current document.  Make sense?

Yes, that sounds good.  This will also let us exercise the IANA registry
procedures quickly and get experience with them :)

[nits trimmed]

Thanks again,

Ben