[alto] extension questions and comments

Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com> Mon, 28 October 2013 17:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:48:41 -0700
From: Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com>
To: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: [alto] extension questions and comments

Hi ALTO extension folks, as I'll not be making it up to Vancouver :-( ,
here are some questions/comments.
These comments/questions are from the perspective of creating an ALTO
topology service (suitable for large bandwidth and SDN applications).

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service-01
    ALTO for VPNs: Way back when we started talking about "topology"
    like extensions. The concept of ALTO for "controlled or partially
    controlled" environments was floated. It seems that a VPN type of
    service would be the exemplar of such an environment and hence pave
    the way for "restricted environment" use of ALTO.  *Questions*: /Are
    there specific additions to the REST API to offer this some kind of
    security, i.e., to keep others from gaining information about a
    customers VPN? Or would a general approach to security of this
    interface be specified?/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-song-alto-overlay-routing-00
    Extensions for Multiple path choices: In our large bandwidth work we
    considered both path representations as well as graph
    representations. This proposal would extend ALTO by reporting costs
    on multiple possible paths between a source and destination. Hence
    could also work for the large bandwidth case with appropriate
    extensions.  Both in this draft and the VPN draft, we may have the
    situation where the client uses ALTO information to not only make a
    choice but then relay that choice back to the network via some type
    of "reservation interface".
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wu-alto-te-metrics-00
    Defines costs metrics based on OSPF-TE. We would need for such
    metrics for the "general" topology service.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-roome-alto-pid-properties-00
    PID properties -- *Comments*: This is a step on the way to a "NID"
    that we would use in a graph topology (multi-switch) representation,
    i.e., where we'd define a Node with Id and properties.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seedorf-lmap-alto-02,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seedorf-cdni-fci-alto-00
    Very interesting applications. Any interest from the authors of
    these drafts in bandwidth/topology type information?

Best Regards

Greg B.

On 10/22/2013 1:02 PM, Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:
> Folks: As you prepare slides, etc. for your ALTO extensions, please
> consult the latest institutional memory on how to taxonomize or classify
> the extensions; this was captured rather succinctly and successfully
> during the Berlin IETF side meeting [1].
>
> Enrico and I will be looking to see how we can group the various
> extensions under this ontology.  It will make it tractable to understand
> and appreciate the extensions as we grapple with them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/minutes/minutes-87-alto#ad-hoc
>
> - vijay

Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237