Re: [alto] Francesca Palombini's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17: (with DISCUSS)

kaigao@scu.edu.cn Thu, 09 November 2023 05:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 13:25:56 +0800
From: kaigao@scu.edu.cn
To: Francesca Palombini <francesca.palombini@ericsson.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, alto-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-alto-new-transport@ietf.org, alto@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [alto] Francesca Palombini's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17: (with DISCUSS)

Hi Francesca,

Thanks for the review. Please see our responses to the "other points" below.

Best,
Kai

[KAI] Thanks for pointing this out. We change the media type of the response in
section 7.4.2 to "application/merge-patch+json", updating the base object of type
AddTIPSResponse.

> In several places (see below for what I identified as problematic SHOULDs) the
> document lacks text about why these are SHOULD and not MUST or MAY. I agree
> with John Klensin, who formulated it very clearly: If SHOULD is used, then it
> must be accompanied by at least one of: (1) A general description of the
> character of the exceptions and/or in what areas exceptions are likely to
> arise.  Examples are fine but, except in plausible and rare cases, not
> enumerated lists. (2) A statement about what should be done, or what the
> considerations are, if the "SHOULD" requirement is not met. (3) A statement
> about why it is not a MUST. I believe some context around these would be enough
> to solve my concern, and give the reader enough context to make an informed
> decision. If you believe the context is there, and I just missed it, please do
> let me know.
>
> Francesca
>
> Section 6.2:
>
> > A server SHOULD NOT use properties that are not included in the request body
> to determine the URI of a TIPS view, such as cookies or the client's IP address.

[KAI] The context of the sentence is not clear. We change the paragraph to the
following:

      A server MUST NOT use a URI for different TIPS views, either for
      different resources or different request bodies to the same
      resource.  URI generation is implementation specific, for example,
      one may compute a Universally Unique Identifier (UUID, [RFC4122])
      or a hash value based on the request, and append it to a base URL.
      For performance considerations, it is NOT RECOMMENDED to use
      properties that are not included in the request body to determine
      the URI of a TIPS view, such as cookies or the client's IP
      address, which may result in duplicated TIPS views in cases such
      as mobile clients.  However, this is not mandatory as a server may
      intentionally use client information to compute the TIPS view URI
      to provide service isolation between clients.

> > If the TIPS request does not have a "resource-id" field, the error code of
> the error message MUST be E_MISSING_FIELD and the "field" field SHOULD be
> "resource-id".
>
> > The "field" field SHOULD be the full path of the "resource-id" field, and the
> "value" field SHOULD be the invalid resource-id.

[KAI] The SHOULD here are changed to MUST, with the condition "if present" as
"field" and "value" attributes are optional according to RFC 7285.

> Section 7.2:
>
> > Hence, the server processing logic SHOULD be:

[KAI] Changed to MUST.

> Section 8.5:
>
> > If the new value does not, whether there is an update depends on whether the
> previous value satisfies the test. If it did not, the updates graph SHOULD NOT
> have an update.

[KAI] This section is repeating Section 9.3 of RFC 8895 and is now removed from
this document.