[alto] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 18 January 2024 14:47 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang@ietf.org, alto-chairs@ietf.org, alto@ietf.org, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 06:47:09 -0800
Subject: [alto] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-16: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang/

DISCUSS:

Per -15 ballot review:

** Section 8.  Per the guidance on writeable data, aren’t significant parts of
alto-server/listen sensitive as one could alter the stored keys for the server
or client; or the username/password combinations (in http-server-parameters)?

** Section 8.  Per the guidance about readable data:

-- isn’t tls-server-parameters sensitive since it could contain raw private
keys (e.g., ks:inline-or-keystore-symmetric-key-grouping)?

-- Would it be best practice to be able to read all of the authorized users?

Thanks for the response at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/tD88zktK20QDBIbd-jbGt5JJDLc/

> Yes, some groupings in alto-server/listen are also sensitive. But they are
> defined in other RFCs, thus the security considerations in those RFCs also
> apply to them.

This described approach is inconsistent with my observation on how the YANG
security template is used.  If there is a path which has security
considerations, the issues are typically highlighted regardless of whether
there is reuse.  Setting aside that this is a YANG module, my experience with
any protocol document is that if there is a mechanism reused by reference and
it introduces a relevant security dependency, it would have been cited in the
Security Considerations as applicable.  Neither of these approach appear to be
taken here.  Is there a reason why not?

COMMENT:

Thank you to Rich Salz for the SECDIR review.

Thank you for addressed by COMMENT and DISCUSS feedback.