Re: [alto] P2P CDN integrated in Wikipedia

"Rimac, Ivica (Ivica)" <ivica.rimac@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 30 September 2010 15:02 UTC

From: "Rimac, Ivica (Ivica)" <ivica.rimac@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "David A. Bryan" <dbryan@ethernot.org>, Victor Grishchenko <victor.grishchenko@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:02:20 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] P2P CDN integrated in Wikipedia

I agree with the huge number of Wikipedia users, but Victor's point makes sense. The demand for a service like alto depends on the pain the generated traffic causes to the ISPs-why bother if you can squeeze out an improvement of lower digit percent (the voice of devil's advocate in me ;) )?

A related question, does anybody know of Akamai's position for alto-like services for their NetSession solution? I am not aware of how prominent this is anyway though I read somewhere that it is being used for distribution of games.

Cheers,
 Ivica